Plan Documents 101: Who Needs What and Best Practices
Tuesday, March 8, 2016 | 2:00 p.m. Eastern time
Group health plans have a multitude of documents that need to be compliant with federal regulations. Cafeteria plans must have plan documents as well as documentation evidencing the adoption of the plan, and plans subject to ERISA need a plan document outlining the plan's terms for a number of items, including eligibility, benefits, exclusions, a named fiduciary and plan administrator, claims and appeals procedures, funding information, and other items. These requirements are separate from the summary plan description, or SPD, requirement that plans must also meet.
This webinar will help employers understand what plan documents they need, what the documents should contain, and the implications of using a "wrap document" to wrap the ERISA plan document and SPD requirements into one document.
This webinar will:
- Explain what a cafeteria plan document is, and what is required to be in the document
- Outline the supporting documentation every cafeteria plan should have regarding its adoption
- Explain what a plan document is for ERISA purposes and what is required to be in the document
- Explain the requirements for SPDs
- Discuss how wrap documents are used, along with the pros and cons of using a wrap document
- Provide best practices regarding regular review and updating of plan documents
- Discuss an employer's requirements when they update a plan, including Summary of Material Modification requirements
- Provide best practices regarding retention of plan documents and other recordkeeping requirements
This 90-minute beginner to intermediate level webinar will help employers understand the plan document requirements for group health plans.
The presentation will be posted on the UBA website the day before the webinar.
Monique Warren is a Principal in the White Plains, New York, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. She counsels employers on employee benefits compliance and administrative matters, drafts plan documents and employee communication materials, and represents employers to government agencies.
Ms. Warren's expertise includes health and welfare plans as well as retirement plans. She has extensive experience helping group health plan sponsors navigate COBRA, HIPAA, and other ERISA and Internal Revenue Code provisions. A significant part of her practice currently focuses on employer issues related to the 2010 health care reform law. She also has extensive experience helping retirement plan sponsors comply with ERISA fiduciary requirements and the Code's qualification requirements and correcting plan errors under the Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service voluntary correction programs.
In addition to authoring many articles, Ms. Warren has been interviewed by and quoted in newspapers and periodicals, including The Wall Street Journal, and edits the firm's Benefits Law Advisor blog.
Contact your local UBA Partner Firm to receive a complimentary registration for this informative presentation or visit www.UBAbenefits.com.